A Curriculum designed for Ovingham Middle School
Our curriculum puts the child at the centre of our school, where positive relationships, based on mutual trust and respect are at the heart of everything we do. We aim to provide a curriculum of breadth and depth which delivers the requirements of the national curriculum but we are confident that, through careful planning in all subjects, we also widen the scope of pupils’ learning even further through ambitious and comprehensive learning opportunities beyond those requirements. Our curriculum is carefully planned to ensure a clear progression of knowledge and skills which are secure at the end of Year 8 and, with appropriate scaffolding and support, is accessible to all learners. It exposes our children to relevant and enriching experiences; equipping them with personal characteristics, skills and knowledge required to succeed in life. The key principles behind the design of our curriculum are for our children to:
- be confident, resilient, independent, reflective and resourceful learners
- develop a love of reading and be confident and fluent readers who recognise the importance of reading across the curriculum, and in equipping them with the essential skills to function in the world around us
- be culturally knowledgeable about our communities, our country and our world through their learning opportunities both in and out of the classroom
- using the principles of our Rights Respecting School as a basis, have a clear sense of being responsible citizens, making a positive contribution to the world they live in both now and in the future, and recognise their potential as changemakers
- have aspirations now and for the future and know that these can be reached through hard work and determination
- be well prepared for the next step in their secondary school curriculum
- are healthy – physically and mentally. Throughout life, our pupils will face many difficult challenges and need to have the mental and physical strength to be successful and to lead happy and fulfilling lives.
Seamed throughout our curriculum are our HEART (Honesty, Excellence, Acceptance/Tolerance, Resilience and Teamwork) values. We teach our pupils to become honest citizens who are respectful, accepting and tolerant of others and who celebrate difference; citizens who can work together with others and who are resilient, can challenge themselves to strive for excellence, aim high and be the best they can be at all times.
If you would like to find out more about our curriculum, please contact [email protected]